Blueberry Nice-Cream Papaya Canoes
Topped with Breadnut Granola Crumble for a Refreshing Crunch
The Producers Stories team is happy to share recipes with our community. Farm-to-table ingredients and flavors shine with recipes, product spotlights, and blogs that highlight our farmers’ work.
A Producers Stories team member crafted a delicious blueberry nice-cream papaya canoes recipe during a visit to one of our producers, Lyn Bishop’s Art Farm. It pulls inspiration from nature’s super-carb, the Breadnut—the hazelnut of the tropics.
This sweet treat of a dish is a beautiful play of textures: cool, smooth papaya, creamy, frozen blueberry nice-cream (banana ice cream), and a warm, crispy breadnut crumble.
For the canoe:
- 1 small/medium-sized Papaya (halved)
For the filling:
- 2 Frozen Bananas
- ½ cup of Blueberries
- Coconut Butter
For the breadnut granola crumble:
- ½ cup Breadnuts (chopped)
- Cacao Nibs
- Coconut Oil, Butter or Puree
- Sweetener of choice (stevia, monk fruit, honey)
- Halve your papaya and remove the innards until you have two neatly hollowed out canoes. Set aside.
- Blend your frozen bananas, blueberries, and coconut butter to achieve a create a creamy, frozen soft serve-like texture.
- Lightly toast the chopped breadnuts in a skillet over medium heat. Add cacao nibs, coconut butter, cinnamon, and any other toppings of your choosing, like dates, honey, or nut butters. Remove from heat once the mixture is golden-brown and fragrant.
Dish your Blueberry Coconut Nice-cream into your papaya canoes, and top with toasted breadnut crumble.
Sit down, and savor this sweet treat!
Be sure to let us know in the comments how you like this blueberry nice-cream papaya canoes recipe if you try it out. Take pictures and tag us, too, and we’ll be glad to feature you in a story!